Okay, so I may have a warped sense of what constitutes fun – but hear me out on this one. If you find bookkeeping a pain in the butt and a necessary evil in order to keep the taxman happy, then take 5 minutes to read my:
6 ways to make bookkeeping fun!
- Get creative! Jazz up your accounts files with some nice labels or replace your folders with colour co-ordinated ones. There are some really nice colours out there now, and you can colour co-ordinate your whole office.
- Every time you finish your bookkeeping tasks for the week, reward yourself with a little of something that puts a smile on your face. (Did somebody say chocolate?)
- Take time out to meet other business owners and attend a bookkeeping workshop. As well as picking up some hints and getting you enthused about getting back to your bookkeeping you’ll probably get a morning or afternoon tea thrown in as well. There are workshops that cover debt collection, payroll, tax, software, cloud computing and lots more.
- Have your favourite music playing quietly in the background, grab a glass of wine (or maybe just half in my case or else my accounts would be a shambles) and enjoy the time to yourself.
- Get organised. Have a spring clean of your accounts documents and files and feel good about how organised you are. I’ll be writing more on accounts organisation a little down the track (try this post here).
- Follow a blog that motivates you in your quest for business or career success. A couple of goods ones are:
If none of these ideas really appeal to you, you could always pay someone else to do it while you go out and have your kind of fun!
Some other bookkeeping posts you might like:
How do you keep motivated to do your essential bookkeeping tasks? Let me know in the comments below.